Saturday, September 26, 2009

i don't have to cry

I must tell a little history to explain...Jeff and I quickly toured our current home and leased it 3-1/2 years ago when we sold our home in the suburbs and moved into the city. Life inside the loop has been fantastic. I have truly come to love my running route on crushed granite, under a tree lined trail. I love that Walgreen's is less than a block away and I can walk there. Many a time with a sick Champ we have gone for a walk to pick up a prescription. The walk alone calms and quiets him. We also live walking distance from great shopping and dining. I always love on a nice evening to walk and grab a bite to eat. I never thought that was possible especially in such a large city. This doesn't even account for the fantastic church parish we live in or that I have family within blocks. All this said, one day driving home I told Jeff I will cry when we move. I love this location so much and will never be able to replicate it. I know we live in a leased house and I knew the day would come to move and I just knew I would cry.

Many of our family know that we have had discussions with the owner of our home about purchasing it. The negotiations for that fell apart this summer when he decided he didn't want to sell it at that time. Jeff and I were confused and a little disappointed, but we both had faith in God that He would lead us where He needed. Not exactly sure where that was but we both had lots of peace.

In the mean time, we took the opportunity to walk through some open houses and check out the nearby areas for comps and availability. Most of our adventures taught me 2 things...first, I love this location; second, I hadn't seen a house that really fit us.

A little over a month ago, Jeff saw a house come up for sale when he was taking Champ to the park. That weekend they had an open house and we walked over. Having been to a lot of these, Jeff and I were surprised that we didn't unlike the house. The price was above what we had budgeted and I was really pregnant with Rome. We knew the house was pricey but nice and thought it would sell quickly. To our surprise it stayed on the market. Just Monday, Jeff bumped into a realtor friend and said just out of curiosity could she pull some comps for us. Jeff went to send her the listing that night and to his surprise the price had just been reduced. The agent sent us some information and we decided to tour the house. Upon closer inspection, we liked the home even more. All said we made and offer and signed a contract on Friday. We are buying a home and planting roots!

So I am totally crazy. I have a newborn not a month old, I bought a house and will have to move. But the house is just that great. This move should be the easiest, as moves go, that I have every made. The house we are buying is just around the corner, literally. The home shares a back fence with our next door neighbor. It is a mid-century ranch and some of the reasons we love it...it has a detached garage and a car port, our visitors no longer have to park on the street or even be exposed to the elements when they visit. The house is 3 bedroom, 2 bath which is perfect for the 4 of us. The house has formal living and dining, den and kitchen with eat in area. All of the rooms in the home are very large and the flow is great. There are wood floors throughout the home except for in the kitchen (I'll discuss that more later.) Double sinks in the hall bathroom and lots and lots of storage. The backyard is nice with a paved area large enough for a table and chairs. It even has 2 pecan trees, so we won't loose that either. Now for the true selling point, there is a bonus room and bathroom attached to the garage. WE HAVE GUEST QUARTERS! Our parents can soon visit us and stay in their own private retreat away from a the nighttime fun that parents of young children often enjoy at 2 am.

The house is such a perfect fit that I was telling the realtor that I would probably renovate the master bath one day as I always wanted a large shower with a double shower head, as I opened the shower door, I noticed 2 shower heads. The kitchen...the owners wanted to ask a premium for the house for the renovated kitchen the only problem is it is renovated to look just like a 1950's kitchen. It has black and white linoleum floors, fantastically retro cabinets and a tile counter top. Jeff and I said upgrades don't count if you can't tell they are there. The kitchen is large and very functional so I will not complain, but I will admit once the house is paid for it is first on the list for the remodel.

Again, I am crazy. This fall will be fun. Please keep us in your prayers as the paper work still needs to be signed and we still have the inspection. But we are planting roots, right here. The boys will go to the Catholic school just down the street. I don't know where the future will take us but I just feel so blessed.

No comments: